Cookies of Zia Mena from Montreal. Roughly translated to ladyfingers.
- 4 eggs (5 if small)
- 14 oz sugar
- 8 oz shortening
- 8 oz orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 28 oz flour
- 8 tsp baking powder (mixed into half a cup of the flour)
- powdered sugar as needed
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Beat eggs, shortening and sugar.
- Add OJ and vanilla
- Add flour a bit at a time
- Last, add the baking powder mixed with the flour.
- When all ingredients are mixed well, put some powder sugar in a plate. Make small balls and roll them in the powder sugar.
- Place the balls on an insulated cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and let them rest five minutes or more before putting in the oven.
- Bake in the center rack for 15 min or less--they should be light golden. Mine cooked for 12 minutes and I rotated the tray halfway through
- Remove from cookie sheet right away when done.
Yields about 11 dozen cookies.